What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry entails the dental procedures that are not done to regain tooth health or functionality – although there are plenty of cosmetic procedures that indirectly enhance functionality. Cosmetic procedures are done to make your smile more aesthetically pleasing – bright, white and perfect.
They are considered elective and not essential, however, a smile makeover will boost your confidence – and that is essential. Cosmetic procedures can be minor, whitening your teeth a few shades, or major, as in altering more than the color – changing the entire shape, size and alignment of your teeth and smile.
How does teeth whitening work?
Professional teeth whitening is typically done one of two ways:
- Chairside whitening – this is a teeth whitening procedure that is done in our Dental Palm Beach office. Before the whitening procedure, one of our hygienists will remove any plaque and tartar buildup – to ensure you get the best result possible. A protectant will be placed over your gums so they will be minimally affected by the bleach. The professional bleaching agent will be applied to your teeth and it will then be activated with the lighting tool. The light helps the bleach to gently penetrate the teeth to better remove the unsightly discoloration and stains.
- Whitening trays – whitening trays are a popular, less expensive option for teeth whitening. You will schedule an appointment to come in to have a mold taken of your mouth – from the mold a customized mouthpiece that resembles a mouth guard will be made just for you. You will be given appropriate tubes of the whitening agent (bleach + hydrogen peroxide mixture). From home you will put the whitening agent into your mouth guard time and insert into your mouth for the time suggested by our Dental Palm Beach staff. For best results you will repeat this mouth guard treatment each day for two weeks, and on an as needed basis after that. Time may need to be adjusted, as gum sensitivity can develop from overexposure to the bleach + hydrogen peroxide mixture.
What are veneers?
- A veneer is a thin layer of composite material that is connected to the front of a tooth. Dental veneers are a commonly sought after cosmetic procedure as they are quick, painless and provide dramatic, beautiful results.
- Those amazing smiles all the celebrities have? Chances are they’ve achieved that flawless look with dental veneers.
Why dental veneers?
- Veneers can change the appearance of your entire smile in as little as two appointments. Do you think you need braces?
- Many people opt for dental veneers instead of going thru the pain and hassle of braces. Veneers can be a solution for tooth discoloration, misshapen teeth, unsightly gaps and chipped teeth.
What is bonding –and how is it different from veneers?
- Tooth bonding is done freehand; so it requires an artistically talented dentist. We have that here at Dental Palm Beach – we specialize in beautiful smiles and talent. Bonding is similar to veneers as they both cover unsightly tooth issues that may cause you to be self-conscious of your smile – tooth issues like misshaped teeth, discolored teeth, gaps between the teeth, even a chipped or broken tooth.
- The bonding procedure is also short and painless; it can even be done in a single appointment. Like veneers a composite resin material is used. Unlike veneers, the dentist molds the material to the tooth himself. Veneers and bonding both have a beautiful, fast make-over effect.
How long does the bonding last?
- As with any dental procedure, the lifespan of this dental procedure varies patient to patient. With good hygiene practices and routine dental exams, bonding can last upwards of ten years.